Older Adults Aging in Place
1. On the Internet, go to http://www.caringinfo.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3287 and download instructions
for filling out your own advance directive. Complete the form for your state and discuss your wishes with someone who is likely to be involved in your health care.
2. Picture a person who you know well or know a great deal about. Make a list of characteristics that describe this
person. How many of these characteristics fit your picture of most senior citizens? What are your biases (ageisms)
3. If you were Minnie Blackstone’s community health nurse (see From the Case Files I), what interventions would
you consider using to maintain and promote her health? Why?
4. As part of your regular community health nursing workload, you visit a senior day care center one afternoon each
week. You take the blood pressures of several people who are taking antihypertensive medications and do some
nutrition counseling. The center accommodates 60 senior clients, and you would like to serve the health needs
of the aggregate population. List potential health needs of this group. What actions might you consider taking at
an aggregate level? With whom would you consult as you plan programs at the center?
5. Assume that you have been asked by your local health department to determine the needs of the population in
your community. How would you begin conducting a needs assessment? What data might you want to collect?
How would you find out what services are already being offered and whether they are adequate?
6. Visit a continuing care center in your community. Assess the housing options, services, and health care provisions.
Would you live here when you are older? How would you feel about a family member living here? What would
you change if you could?
7. Using the Internet, locate innovative programs for elders in the community at the primary, secondary, and tertiary
levels of care. Determine whether such programs could work in your community.
8. How can you assist older adults with their spiritual health? What are important considerations to keep in mind?
With another student, practice how you would open a conversation about this with an elderly client.
9. In From the Case Files II, how would you address the subject of advance directives? Where could you locate
information specific to your state? Who else should you include in this conversation? Why is it important to have
current advance directives in place?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more